Test Your Computer Set-Up
To take most of UWCNE online education modules, you should be able to open the following types of files:
If you can't read the files listed above, see system requirements and links to software downloads below.
Computer System Requirements
If you want to know the version of the software you are using, open the application (for example, Internet Explorer) and go to Help/About on the menu. The version of your software should be listed there.
Windows (98se, 2000, XP)
Macintosh (OS X 10.2, 10.3, 10.4)
- Speakers or headphones for your computer.
- Sound card for your computer (Most computers have one.)
- Video card for your computer (Most computers have one.)
- CD-Rom to play CDs
Smart phone and tablet users: Install an app for playing Flash video. Use the app instead of Safari:
Internet Connection Requirements
- An email account
- Recommended Connection: DSL or Broadband connection, such as Comcast.
- Dial-Up: Some documents may load slowly.
- Minimum bandwidth: 56 kb/sec (typical speed of a dial-up modem).
Computer Skills Requirements
To be a successful online student, you should be able to:
- Send an email with an attachment.
- Fill out and submit web forms.
- Download a Word or PowerPoint document from the website to your local computer.
- Navigate a website that uses frames and scrollbars.
- Browse to other websites and print out information.
- Read and print PDF documents (Using Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- Adjust the volume on your computer.
- Work with a basic multimedia interface console (Stop button, go button, volume control).
- Know how to close a pop-up browser window.
Problems trying to view a Breeze presentation?
Visit Adobe's website for the latest version of FlashPlayer.