Conference 2017 | Update in Medical-Surgical Nursing
15th Annual Conference
Thursday-Friday | October 5-6, 2017
Who Should Attend this Conference
Healthcare professionals including staff nurses, clinical nurse leaders, clinical nurse specialists, nurse practitioners, nurse educators, managers, administrators, social workers and other interested healthcare providers.
About this Conference
The medical-surgical setting today presents unique, complex and varied patient care challenges. This conference is an opportunity to review and update your medical-surgical clinical practice and acquire new assessment and management strategies. Healthcare professionals are invited to advance their knowledge of evidence-based practices that promote care innovations, collaboration and confidence among team members. Participants can design a conference that meets their clinical needs by choosing from concurrent session options. Teaching methods include lecture, discussion, case studies, demonstration and collegial interchange.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
- Correlate how self-reflection and work-life balance correlate to improved job performance.
- Discuss pathophysiology of heart failure (HF).
- Briefly describe the physiology and progression of Major Neurocognitive Disorder (MNCD).
- Recognize the elements for recovery in medical malpractice litigation.
- Assess and select appropriate site for PIV insertion to reduce risk of complications.
- List three extrinsic factors that impede wound healing.
- Identify the three most common and specific signs of stroke on an inpatient by using the FAST screen.
- Describe the impact of diabetes on personal health and on the healthcare system.
- Discuss the different anticoagulant medications.
- Describe different types of personality disorders.
- Approach substance use disorder as a chronic medical condition.
- Identify practices that promote safety when caring for patients receiving chemotherapy.
- Describe the Fast Forward care process for orthopedic patients.
- Describe a model of self-compassion to support self-care practices.
- The Only Thing I Can Count On Is Change: Making Nursing a Career, Not a Job
- Heart Failure: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- Dementia Demystified: From Crisis Management to Emotional Leadership
- Nursing Documentation: Winning or Losing Legal Cases Based on The Record
- Peripheral IV Access, Care and Maintenance: Enhancing Your Skills
- Why Won’t This Wound Heal? Factors That Impact Wound Healing
- Drifty, Droopy and Speechless: Detecting Stroke FAST-er
- The Latest in the Care of Patients With Diabetes (Rx)
- Managing the Patient on Anticoagulation Therapy (Rx)
- Respond, Don’t React: Helpful Approaches to Personality Traits and Disorders
- Caring for Patients with Substance Use Disorders in the Hospital
- Oncology Update
- Fast Forward in Joint Care
- Self-Compassion: The Missing Ingredient in Self-Care
Want to Learn More about the Registration/CE Process?
Click here for the Seven Easy Steps for Registering and Earning CE Contact Hours.
Registering a Group or an Employee?
Fill out our Group/Employee Registration Form. The registration manager will process your request and notify by email.
(Internet Explorer does not work with our website. If your work computer has IE, please access our website from your phone, tablet or laptop at home.)
|Conference Materials and Information|
Thursday Session Sign-Up (Link will open in a new window or tab.)
|Thursday Evaluation (Link will open in a new window or tab.)|
|Before you can download your certificate, you must submit the evaluation for each day you attended. (See above.) To access the certificate, click the day you attended, then click the continue button and choose "Certificate Complete". You must be logged in to see the Continue button.|
- 14.16 Contact hours
- 2.32 Pharmacology hours at the advanced practice level