Conference 2018 | Advanced Motivational Interviewing Training
Next Steps in Your Practice
Friday | March 30, 2018
- View the program schedule/sessions
- View or print the online brochure
- Download your handouts
- Complete your evaluation
- Print your certificate
This workshop is for nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, staff nurses, school nurses, social workers, psychologists, case managers, physicians, physician assistants, occupational therapists, physical therapists, health educators and other interested healthcare professionals with basic Motivational Interviewing experience.
Take your Motivational Interviewing skills to the next level. Learn how to use Motivational Interviewing principles you already know and expand on them to achieve even better results in your practice. Learning activities include real life demonstrations, breakdown of video examples, “real-plays,” case studies, small group exercises and practice with feedback.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
- Apply the core elements of Motivational Interviewing (MI) to your area of practice.
- Identify the foundational skills of MI from demonstrations and video examples.
- Identify where you may “get stuck” using MI and develop strategies for overcoming obstacles.
- Demonstrate advanced MI strategies for eliciting and exploring clients’ own reasons for change.
- Use the four processes of MI for navigating clinical conversations in the direction of client change goals.
- Address/eliminate the key barriers to enhancing confidence and competence in applying the skills and strategies of MI in clinical practice.
UW School of Nursing, Continuing Nursing Education
UW Medicine/University of Washington Medical Center
JONNAE TILLMAN, BA
Clinical Researcher, University of Washington School of Social Work/School of Medicine; Adjunct Faculty, Seattle University College of Nursing; Private Consultant, J Tillman Training; Member, Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT)
- Exchanging Information (Education, Advice, Feedback, Referral)
- Identify Where Helping Professionals get Stuck in Practicing MI
- Negotiating a Change Plan
- OARS Review
- Offering Advice
- Recognizing Readiness for Change
- Strategic Reflective Listening: Guiding Towards Change Talk
- Internet Explorer User Tips (Firefox, Chrome and Safari are recommended.)
- PDF Help - If your agency prohibits the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Want to Learn More about the Registration/CE Process?
Click here for the Seven Easy Steps for Registering and Earning CE Contact Hours.
Registering a Group or an Employee?
Fill out our Group/Employee Registration Form. The registration manager will process your request and notify by email.
(Internet Explorer does not work with our website. If your work computer has IE, please access our website from your phone, tablet or laptop at home.)
- 7.10 Contact hours