Conference 2016 | Motivational Interviewing
Successful Patient Engagement and Activation for Busy Healthcare Settings
July 15, 2016 | SPOKANE, WA
Conference Quick Links:
- Register for the conference
- View the program schedule
- Download your handouts
- Complete your conference evaluation
- Print your certificate
What participants say about this conference...
"One of the best trainings I've ever attended in my professional career."
"I've attended several trainings on this subject, and this was the most grounded in science and instructive in technique."
"I have never been able to sit though an entire conference without becoming restless. This conference was an exception. Jonnae is a brilliant speaker and conveyed this complex topic in an engaging, interactive style that left me wanting even more!"
Who Should Attend this Conference?
A workshop for nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, staff nurses, school nurses, social workers, psychologists, case managers, physicians, physician assistants, health educators and other interested healthcare professionals.
About this Conference:
Patient decisions about changing health-related behaviors are complicated. Research indicates that passively receiving medical information and advice alone does not result in lasting behavior change. Furthermore, health professionals become frustrated when patients respond with resistance or apathy and do not make healthy choices. What reduces patient resistance and increases the chance of positive outcomes? Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based communication style that has been shown to have a dramatic effect on patient outcomes in over 200 international clinical trials. MI creates a partnership between health professionals and their patients, enabling them to work together as “co-experts” towards shared goals.
- MI helps people identify their own motivation for making lifestyle changes.
- MI is the opposite of telling people what to do and how to do it.
- MI activates discussion about change and minimizes talk about being stuck in unhealthy habits.
- MI involves specific, measurable skills designed to create effective interactions.
This workshop provides practical skills for engaging people in the process of change and guiding them to find solutions. Teaching methods include lecture, demonstration, discussion, skill development and case study analysis.
- Describe how motivational interviewing skills fit into the healthcare setting.
- Identify opportunities to employ motivational interviewing skills when observing patient interactions.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize patient “change talk.”
- Describe motivational interviewing strategies for providing patient education that minimizes resistance.
- Describe the difference between praise and affirmation in engaging and motivating patients.
- Why Don't Patients Just Do What We Say?
- It's Not About Being Nice: Measurable and Observable Skills
- Change Talk: The Intersection of Science and Art
- Giving Information and Recommendations without Triggering Resistance
- Strengthening Patient Confidence: Praise vs. Affirmation
- How Motivational Interviewing Can Change Your Healthcare Setting
- Putting Motivational Interviewing Skills into Practice
Fairfield Inn and Suites - Spokane Downtown
311 N. Riverpoint Blvd., Spokane, WA 99202
For reservations: Call 509-747-9131. Push “0” and ask to make a reservation in a group block. Group Block Code: UWN-R
Want to Learn More about the Registration/CE Process?
Click here for the Seven Easy Steps for Registering and Earning CE Contact Hours.
Registering a Group or an Employee?
Fill out our Group/Employee Registration Form. The registration manager will process your request and notify by email.
(Internet Explorer does not work with our website. If your work computer has IE, please access our website from your phone, tablet or laptop at home.)
|Conference Materials and Information|
(Link will open in a new window or tab).
|Before you can download your certificate, you must submit the evaluation. (See above.) To access the certificate, click the "Download Certificate" button at the bottom of this page.|
- 7.10 Contact hours