Virtual Classroom | Wound Seminar 2021
This collaborative approach to wound care will provide opportunities for feedback with other professionals regarding challenging clinical situations. Experts will offer current evidence-based approaches in wound care management. Format is designed for busy clinicians with a desire to grow their practice and gain tools to tackle real-life wound care challenges.
Each session will include:
- Resources: Evidence-based resources available 24/7
- Network: Online forum to connect with wound care professionals to discuss clinical challenges and share successes
- Interactive: Webinars to learn from experts, pose questions and discuss content with other participants
Additionally, resources regarding professional development in the wound care sector will be incorporated. Opportunities to present professional projects and receive feedback will be available.
Select Your Session Block
This 10-week series of live webinars meets weekly each Thursday beginning September 30th, 12:00-1:30 pm. Join us for all 10 sessions or choose to participate in one of three session blocks.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
Through active engagement and collaboration as part of this facilitated seminar, participants will be better able to:
- Increase knowledge and skills relevant to their practice in wound care.
- Identify strategies to address some of the most challenging situations that wound care clinicians might encounter.
- Appraise current literature relevant to practice.
- Examine professional activities and skills that can be incorporated into the role of a wound care clinician.
All healthcare professionals who provide wound care as a significant part of their practice in hospital, ambulatory care, home health, or other healthcare settings. Wound care certification is not required.
Introduction | Thursday, September 30
(All participants encouraged to attend)
- Wound updates
- Frameworks for wound healing
Block 1: Daily Challenges | Thursdays: October 7, 14 and 21
- Dermatology issues
- Atypical wounds
- Wound infection
- Care of the bariatric patient
Block 2: Common Conundrums | Thursdays: October 28, November 4 and 18
- Advanced offloading
- Compression beyond the basics
- Engaging difficult patients
- Non-healing wounds
- Wound care in low-resource settings and patients with limited resources
Block 3: Beyond Topicals | Thursdays: December 2, 9 and 16
- Surgical management of non-healing wounds
- Limb salvage
- Advanced negative pressure strategies
- Advanced pressure reduction strategies
- Ostomy challenges
- Fistula management
*Topics are subject to change due to speaker availability
Board of Content Experts
- Kristen Childress, DNP, ARNP, FNP-BC, CWCN-AP
Coordinator, Wound Seminar; Core Faculty, Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, Associate Teaching Professor, Department of Child, Family, and Population Health Nursing University of Washington School of Nursing; Seattle; Sound Clinical Associates, PLLC Gig Harbor, WA
- Vickie R. Driver, DPM, MS, FACFAS, FAAWC
System Wide Medical Director, Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Centers; Co-Director Limb Preservation Center; Director of Research, INOVA Healthcare, Falls Church, VA; Chair, Wound Care Collaborative Community
- Kari Lombard, BSN, RN, NCSN, DNP-PMHNP Student
Nurse Planner, Continuing Nursing Education, UW School of Nursing, Seattle
- Joie Whitney, PhD, RN, CWCN, FAAN,
Professor Emeritus, Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Informatics, UW School of Nursing; Co-Director UW ITHS TL1 Program, Harborview Medical Center Research Scientist, Seattle, WA
UW=University of Washington, Seattle
- 20.00 Contact hours
- 4.00 Pharmacology hours at the advanced practice level