To take most of UWCNE online education modules, you should be able to open the following types of files:
- Streaming media - (Can you hear sound and see the video?)
- Flash-based videos (Can you hear sound and see the video? Some older videos require Flash Player. You may not be able to view the older videos on your iPhone or iPad.)
- PDF document (Requires Acrobat Reader)
If you can't open the files listed above, please see links to software downloads below.
- Speakers or headphones for your computer.
- Sound card for your computer (Most computers have one.)
- Video card for your computer (Most computers have one.)
- Flash Player 6.0.79 or higher (It's free. Most computers come with this.)
- (Flash Player 7 or higher for Linux and Solaris)
- Browser: Safari, Chrome or Firefox. Our website is not compatible with Internet Explorer.
- Microsoft Word or similar program for reading assignments and writing papers.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (Free)
- Software you may need during Web browsing, depending on your operating system:
- QuickTime 7.0 (For Macs) (Free)
- RealPlayer v.10.5 (Free)
- Windows Media Player (For Windows) (Free)
iPhone and iPad Users
Install an app for playing Flash video. Use the app instead of Safari:
- Photon Flash Player - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-flash-player-for-ipad/id430200224?mt=8. Install and use as your browser. When you want to watch a Flash item, click the lightning bolt icon.
- Maxthon Cloud Browser - https://itunes.apple.com/IN/app/id525367550?mt=8
Internet Connection Requirements
- An email account
- Recommended Connection: DSL or Broadband connection, such as Comcast.
- Dial-Up: Some documents may load slowly.
- Minimum bandwidth: 56 kb/sec (typical speed of a dial-up modem).
Computer Skills Requirements
To be a successful online student, you should be able to:
- Send an email with an attachment.
- Fill out and submit web forms.
- Download a Word or PowerPoint document from the website to your local computer.
- Navigate a website that uses frames and scrollbars.
- Browse to other websites and print out information.
- Read and print PDF documents (Using Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- Adjust the volume on your computer.
- Work with a basic multimedia interface console (Stop button, go button, volume control).
- Know how to close a pop-up browser window.