Test Your Computer Set-Up
To take most of UWCNE online education modules, you should be able to open the following types of files:
- Streaming media (Can you hear sound and see the video?) (Requires Flash Player)
- PDF document (Requires Acrobat Reader)
If you can't open the files listed above, please see links to software downloads below.
- Speakers or headphones for your computer.
- Sound card for your computer (Most computers have one.)
- Video card for your computer (Most computers have one.)
- Flash Player 6.0.79 or higher (It's free. Most computers come with this.)
- (Flash Player 7 or higher for Linux and Solaris)
- Microsoft Word or similar program for reading assignments and writing papers.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (Free)
- Software you may need during Web browsing, depending on your operating system:
- QuickTime 7.0 (For Macs) (Free)
- RealPlayer v.10.5 (Free)
- Windows Media Player (For Windows) (Free)
Smart Phone and Tablet Users
Install an app for playing Flash video. Use the app instead of Safari:
- Photon Flash Player - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-flash-player-for-ipad/id430200224?mt=8. Install and use as your browser. When you want to watch a Flash item, click the lightning bolt icon.
- Maxthon Cloud Browser - https://itunes.apple.com/IN/app/id525367550?mt=8
Internet Connection Requirements
- An email account
- Recommended Connection: DSL or Broadband connection, such as Comcast.
- Dial-Up: Some documents may load slowly.
- Minimum bandwidth: 56 kb/sec (typical speed of a dial-up modem).
Computer Skills Requirements
To be a successful online student, you should be able to:
- Send an email with an attachment.
- Fill out and submit web forms.
- Download a Word or PowerPoint document from the website to your local computer.
- Navigate a website that uses frames and scrollbars.
- Browse to other websites and print out information.
- Read and print PDF documents (Using Adobe Acrobat Reader).
- Adjust the volume on your computer.
- Work with a basic multimedia interface console (Stop button, go button, volume control).
- Know how to close a pop-up browser window.