Specialty Program 2016 | I.V. Infusion Online with Jun 17 - PM Skills Lab
|Registration||Closes on Friday, June 3, 2016|
|Online Coursework Due Date||Must be completed by Thursday, June 16, 2016|
|Skills Lab Date||Friday, June 17, 2016 | 1:15 - 5:30 PM|
This 34-hour program provides basic knowledge of I.V. therapy practice for nurses and other members of the healthcare team. The first 30 hours of coursework are completed online. Online coursework includes six chapters of recorded audio/slide presentations, a live peripheral I.V. catheter insertion demonstration, videos of two live implanted venous port access (and de-access) demonstrations, a downloadable workbook (133 pages), a post-test following each chapter, two clinical example assignments and a required reading assignment on legal aspects of infusion therapy. After completion of the online coursework, the student attends a half-day skills lab in Seattle. Contact hour requirements include successfully completing all learning activities, attending the skills lab and submitting course evaluations.
► The skills lab is limited to 10 registrants. Please register early!
After completing this program, you will be better able to:
- Describe basic concepts, standards and guidelines for I.V. infusion therapy.
- Discuss best practices in patient safety related to I.V. infusion therapy.
- Manage I.V. infusion therapy in your work setting.
This program is comprised of 30 hours of online coursework that must be completed on your own before attending the half-day skills lab. Online coursework includes video presentations, workbook review, two clinical example assignments, six post-tests and an evaluation. You must achieve a score of 80% on each post-test. (There are a total of 100 test questions in this program.) When you fulfill all the online course requirements, you can attend the half-day hands-on skills lab in Seattle, Washington.
To earn contact hours for the entire 34-hour program requires completion of all online course requirements (see above) as well as attendance at the skills lab and submission of the skills lab evaluation.
- Current standards of practice
- Venous access device review (includes 4-hours of central line education)
- Venipuncture techniques
- I.V. medication administration & fluid management
- A review of nutritional solutions
- Management of difficult insertions
- Legal aspects related to I.V. therapy
- Vascular access protocols
- Hands-on I.V. skills lab
How to take the course
- Register for the program below. (Be sure you have selected the program with the correct Skills Lab date and time.)
- Come back to this page and click on the Introduction and Overview to Current I.V. Therapy link below.
- Read the objectives for that chapter.
- Click the Continue button.
- Print the workbook. (You will use this for the entire course.)
- Watch the videos and take notes in your workbook.
- Submit the exam.
- Click the Course Complete icon.
- Return to the main program (this page).
- Click the next chapter link below.
Individual topics in this program can also be taken as separate online education courses: Online Education | I.V. Infusion | Selected Topics.
Registering a group or an employee?
Fill out our Group/Employee Registration Form. The registration manager will process your request and notify by email.
(Internet Explorer does not work well with our website. If your work computer has IE, please access our website from your phone, tablet or laptop at home.)
- 34.00 Contact hours