Specialty Program | I.V. Therapy Online with Skills Lab
This program includes both online coursework and a half-day hands-on skills lab.
Registered students, go to your activities
This 34-hour program provides basic knowledge of I.V. therapy practice for nurses and other members of the healthcare team. You can register just for the 30-hour online course or for the 30-hour course plus a 4-hour skills lab.
The first 30 hours are earned by completing the I.V. Therapy Online Program. Coursework is entirely online and completed at your own pace. Online coursework includes six chapters of recorded audio/slide presentations, a peripheral I.V. catheter insertion demonstration, videos of two implanted venous port access (and de-access) demonstrations, a downloadable workbook (133 pages), a required reading assignment on legal aspects of I.V. therapy, two clinical example assignments, a post-test and evaluation following each chapter, and an evaluation of the online coursework as a whole. Successful completion requires achieving 80% on each post-test.
Four (4) additional hours can be earned by attending the I.V. Therapy Skills Lab in Seattle. The lab is a half-day, in-person, simulated hands-on training session with an I.V. Therapy qualified instructor. It is offered regularly throughout the year, with a choice of morning or afternoon sessions. Registration is limited and preregistration is required. Skills lab content includes a brief review of the online coursework, a question and answer session, demonstrations and hands-on skills practice with a peripheral and central station. A lab kit is included in the registration fee. You must complete the I.V. Therapy Online Progam before attending the lab and bring a copy of your 30-hour certificate with you. Contact hour requirements for the lab include attending the entire lab and completing an online lab evaluation.
► Each skills lab is limited to 6 registrants. Early registration is strongly advised!
How to register.
After completing this program, you will be better able to:
- Describe basic concepts, national standards of practice and guidelines related to the current practice of I.V. therapy.
- Implement current evidence-based I.V. therapy practices to facilitate patient safety.
- Successfully manage I.V. therapy in any care setting.
- Current standards of practice
- Venous access device review (includes 4-hours of central line education)
- Venipuncture techniques
- I.V. medication administration and fluid management
- A review of nutritional solutions
- Management of difficult insertions
- Legal aspects related to I.V. therapy
- Vascular access protocols
- I.V. therapy skills lab
Additional program information
- Register for the online program by selecting the box on the second line. (It should be pre-selected for you.)
- Register for the skills lab by checking the box next to the lab with your preferred date and time (morning or afternoon). Choose a date that allows you at least two weeks to complete the 30-hour online program (a prerequisite for attending the lab).
- Check out and pay. Then click Go to My Activities, scroll to Specialty Program 2016 | I.V. Therapy Online Program and click on the program title to come back to this page (the main course page). You will access all your coursework (activities) from this page.
- Under Registration/Activities, click the first course title, Introduction and Overview to Current I.V. Therapy, and then click Continue. (Don't see it? Remember, you must always be logged in to see the Continue button and access your activities.)
- Print the workbook. (You will use this for the entire program.) As you watch the videos, follow along and complete the exercises in your workbook.
- Submit the exam and evaluation and then click Course Complete. (Note: Each activity of the online program is referred to as a "course.")
- Return to this page and click the title of the next course (next course link). Continue until you've completed all six courses.
- After completing the final course, print your certificate for the I.V. Therapy Online Program.
- If you have registered for a skills lab, find its location, schedule and learning objectives by clicking the checked title. You will also receive reminder emails as your lab date approaches.
Individual topics in this program can also be taken as separate online education courses: Specialty Program 2016 | I.V. Therapy Online | Selected Topics. In order to sign up for a skills lab, however, you have to register for the entire 30-hour I.V. Therapy Online Program on this page.
Registering a group or an employee?
Fill out our Group/Employee Registration Form. The registration manager will process your request and notify by email.
(Internet Explorer does not work well with our website. If your work computer has IE, please access our website from your phone, tablet or laptop at home.)
- 34.00 Contact hours