Medical-Surgical Review and Update - ONLINE - June 9 - August 18, 2014
Summer 2014 Specialty Program
Welcome to the Classroom!
Who should take this course
Registered nurses, including experienced medical-surgical nurses, nurse educators, ambulatory care and specialty care nurses, nurses in transition to new units and work settings and nurses re-entering the nursing profession.
About this course
This online continuing education course is designed to:
- Update and enhance your medical-surgical nursing knowledge and practice.
- Support you in preparing for certification in medical-surgical nursing.
Online course format
- Schedule: The course is presented over 10 weeks with modules assigned weekly. You can follow the recommended schedule or work ahead on your own timeline. All requirements must be completed by the last day of the 10-week period to earn contact hours.
- Time required: A typical week requires 5-7 hours of study and begins with an overview from the instructor. Course work includes watching 1-2 lectures per week, reviewing supplementary resources, taking weekly practice tests, reviewing annotated answers and test-taking tips, completing weekly evaluations, submitting three clinical examples and completing the final course evaluation.
- Content: The course includes 17 lectures presented by expert clinicians and recorded January-April 2014 during a course transmitted to over 360 nurses at 22 clinical agencies in four states.
- Course syllabus: Handouts for each lecture are provided online, along with templates for creating and organizing your course binder.
- Hone your test-taking skills: Brief practice tests are provided for each module to enhance your learning through self-assessment. Annotated answers and test-taking tips are included. Tests are required but not graded.
- Learn with a mentor and small group of colleagues: The course instructor is an experienced medical-surgical nurse educator who guides you through the course, answers questions and monitors your progress towards course completion. You can submit questions and discuss practice issues with your instructor and with other participants in the course.
- Earn continuing education contact hours: You will receive a certificate for 50.0 contact hours after successfully completing course requirements: online course forms, weekly practice tests, weekly and overall course evaluations and three "Clinical Examples" describing situations in which you apply course content or experience an "ah ha!" moment that enhances your practice.
- 50.00 Contact hours