Specialty Program 2015 | Medical-Surgical Review and Update Winter - ONSITE
Winter/Spring 2015 Specialty Program
January 8 - April 16, 2015
Welcome to the Classroom!
This 15-week continuing education course provides a comprehensive update on key topics in evidence-based medical-surgical nursing practice. The course is designed to meet two goals: 1) enhance practice in medical-surgical nursing and 2) support nurses in pursuing national certification.
Who would benefit from this course
Experienced nurses in all care settings interested in a comprehensive medical-surgical review and/or in preparing for certification or re-certification in medical-surgical nursing.
Course format & sites
The course will be presented live at the University of Washington Health Sciences Center and transmitted electronically to participating sites. New sites are invited (see Co-Sponsorship Invitation). Some sites access the course on a delayed schedule via video recordings.
After completing this course, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the etiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nursing process and patient education related to common medical-surgical diagnoses.
- Apply evidence-based approaches to nursing assessment and intervention strategies.
- Discuss strategies that enhance patient safety.
- Explain the process of applying for national certification in medical-surgical nursing.
- Describe at least two situations in which course content is applied to nursing practice.
- Alaska Native Medical Center: Contact Vickie Mays regarding eligibility and registration.
- Columbia Basin Hospital: Contact Heidi Cline regarding eligibility and registration.
- Franciscan Health System: Please contact Cindy Woolman for information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Island Hospital: Contact Kathy Corrion for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Jefferson Healthcare: Contact Amber Hudson for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Madigan Army Medical Center: Contact Nancy Hodge for details about registration.
- Maniilaq Association: Contact Sonia Reisdorf for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center: PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center will pay the tuition for this course, but participants must agree to sit for one of the national exams within 6 months upon completion of this course. If the participant does not sit for the exam or chooses not to, then the tuition cost will be paid for by the participant.
- Portneuf Medical Center: Tuition and course syllabus will be paid by PMC with approval of Med-Surg Director. Contact Jenn Warren for details about registration and eligibility.
- Providence Centralia Hospital: Contact Lisa Gallagher for details about registration and eligibility.
- Providence Regional Medical Center Everett: Contact Kim Dotson at email@example.com.
- Providence St. Peter Hospital: Contact Sarah Culbert for details about registration and eligibility.
- Skagit Valley Hospital - Skagit Regional Health: Contact M.J. Tyler for details about registration and eligibility.
- Swedish Edmonds Hospital: Contact Ann Moore (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Clinical Education for information and registration details.
- Swedish Medical Center: Contact Ann McElroy for registration and tuition information.
- UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center: Contact Kathy Colagrossi for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/UW Medical Center: Contact Jamie Peterson at email@example.com or 206-598-1359 for details about registration and eligibility.
- UW Medicine/Northwest Hospital and Medical Center: Contact Janine Buis regarding registration, eligibility and details.
- UW Medicine/Valley Medical Center: Tuition and course syllabus can be paid for with available education funds. Tuition rate dependent upon number of participants. Contact Susan Grabowski or Kirstin Sellers (firstname.lastname@example.org; 425-228-3440 Ext. 8760) for more information.
- Whidbey General Hospital: Open to WGH and non-WGH RNs. Contact Gaila Palo for enrollment information.
- Virginia Mason Medical Center: Tuition excluding the syllabus will be paid by VMMC. Contact Shirley Klakken for details about registration and eligibility.
Individual registrants will complete this class 100% online (no in-person attendance). Please register and pay online at your convenience.
For questions regarding registration, contact Hamida Moly at 206-221-2406 or email@example.com.
Co-sponsor applications now being accepted!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the 2015 Medical-Surgical Review & Update Course.
- 45.00 Contact hours