2014 Winter: Medical-Surgical Review and Update - ONSITE
If you are a former Med-Surg student, please go to the classroom by clicking the continue button.
This 15-week continuing education course provides a comprehensive update on key topics in evidence-based medical-surgical nursing practice. The course is designed to meet two goals: 1) enhance practice in medical-surgical nursing and 2) support nurses in pursuing national certification.
National certification is a mechanism for protecting the public by clearly identifying nurses and agencies committed to the highest standards of professional preparation, patient care and patient safety. Nurses who have completed this course and taken a certification exam are very successful in attaining certification (95% pass rate). Teaching methods include didactic presentations by a variety of experts, discussion, case study analysis, reflective learning exercises, test-taking skill development, and a strong component of mentoring. New graduates should contact their Agency Coordinator about certification eligibility requirements.
- Discuss the etiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nursing process and patient education related to common medical-surgical diagnoses.
- Apply evidence-based strategies to nursing assessment and interventions.
- Discuss strategies that enhance patient safety.
- Explain the process of applying for national certification in medical-surgical nursing.
- Describe a situation in which course content is applied to nursing practice.
- 45.00 Contact hours