Acute Pain Management (Mentored CE)
Adequate pain management begins with a very good assessment of psychological as well as physiological expressions of pain. This enlightening lecture will discuss the principles of pain management with regards to different pain mechanisms, appropriate assessment tools, and multimodal nursing interventions for alleviating acute post-op pain.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to apply principles/nursing interventions of pain management that:
- Acknowledge the difference between acute and chronic pain.
- Differentiate between nociceptive and neuropathic pain mechanisms.
- Support individualized and accurate pain assessment.
- Support the utilization of appropriate pain assessment tools.
- Recognize the use of multimodal, pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions as necessary components in the pain management nursing plan of care.
Kimberly K. Hayes, MSN, BSN, RN-BC, CPAN
Clinical Nurse Educator
UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA