Fluid and Electrolytes/Acid Base Balance
For experienced nurses interested in a comprehensive medical-surgical review and/or in preparing for certification or recertification in medical-surgical nursing.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this session, you will be able to:
- Discuss mechanisms the body uses to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance.
- State the indications for different intravenous solutions.
- Analyze case situations for alterations in fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Discuss mechanisms the body uses to maintain acid-base balance.
- Correctly determine acid-base derangement in a given case.
Cindy Sayre, MN, ARNP, Director, Professional Practice and Patient-Family Centered Care, UWMC; Affiliate Instructor, BNHS, UW