GETTING STARTED (Mentored CE)
My name is Shirley Kopf-Klakken, and I will be your nurse mentor as you progress through this course. In this Getting Started module, I will give you a tour of the online classroom and show you how to access supplementary resources to help you prepare for certification.
Online education technology and terminology is always evolving. In this system, the classroom is called an activity set and is composed of multiple mini-courses, or modules. After you have completed this module, you will receive confirmation saying "Course Complete." You will receive similar confirmations as you proceed through the rest of the modules in the activity set. To complete all of the coursework, you must complete each mini-course. You'll be able to keep track of what you have left to do as you progress through the course.
Remember, you have a full year to finish all your coursework. You get to set the pace, and you can even choose the order in which you would like to approach the topics. I'll send you reminder letters periodically throughout the year to help you stay on track to earn your certificate. If you finish early, you will be able to revisit all course materials for the duration of your enrollment period.
I hope you enjoy this class. Let's get started!
Click the Continue button to begin coursework for this activity. You must be logged in and registered for this course to see the continue button.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the etiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nursing process and patient education related to common medical-surgical diagnoses.
- Apply evidence-based strategies to nursing assessment and interventions.
- Discuss strategies that enhance patient safety.
- Explain the process of applying for national certification in medical-surgical nursing.
- Describe a situation in which course content is applied to nursing practice.
Shirley Kopf-Klakken, MSN, RN
Professional Development Specialist, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle