Week 3: Renal System (Med-Surg 2019)
1 in 7 Americans suffer from chronic kidney disease, whether they know it or not. After viewing this module, you will gain skills in renal assessment, tips for identifying the causes and clinical manifestations of acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease, and a greater understanding of why every nurse is a kidney nurse.
Week 3 begins on Thursday, January 24, 2019.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
- Identify populations at higher risk for kidney disease.
- Describe the functions of the kidney.
- Discuss how to assess for acute kidney injury.
- State causes of chronic kidney disease.
- Describe manifestations of chronic kidney disease.
- Discuss options for renal replacement therapy.
Nancy Colobong Smith, MN, ARNP, CNN
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Renal and Transplant, UW Medicine/UW Medical Center;
Affiliate Instructor, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, UW School of Nursing, Seattle