Week 9: A | Caring for the Older Adult (Med-Surg 2019)
This module contains valuable tools for assessing and monitoring older patients under your care, including tips on how to help an acutely ill patient with dementia feel at ease in the hospital setting.
Week 9 begins on Thursday, March 7, 2018, and includes two topics:
- A|Caring for the Older Adult
- B|Legal and Ethical Issues
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
- Describe how acute illness may present differently in an older versus younger adult.
- Describe age-related changes that may increase the incidence of adverse drug effects.
- Identify nursing interventions to enhance care of the acutely ill patient with dementia.
Barbara Albertson, MN, RN-BC
Clinical Nurse Educator
UW Medicine/UW Medical Center, Seattle, WA