Specialty Program 2016 | Medical-Surgical Review and Update - ONSITE
Winter/Spring 2016 Specialty Program
January 7 - April 14, 2016
This 15-week continuing education course provides a comprehensive update on key topics in evidence-based medical-surgical nursing practice. The course is designed to meet two goals: 1) enhance practice in medical-surgical nursing and 2) support nurses in pursuing national certification.
Who would benefit from this course
Experienced nurses in all care settings interested in a comprehensive medical-surgical review and/or in preparing for certification or re-certification in medical-surgical nursing.
Course format and sites
The course will be presented live at the University of Washington Health Sciences Center and transmitted electronically to participating sites. New sites are invited (see Co-Sponsorship Invitation). Some sites access the course on a delayed schedule via video recordings.
After completing this course, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the etiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nursing process and patient education related to common medical-surgical diagnoses.
- Apply evidence-based approaches to nursing assessment and intervention strategies.
- Discuss strategies that enhance patient safety.
- Explain the process of applying for national certification in medical-surgical nursing.
- Describe at least two situations in which course content is applied to nursing practice.
- Alaska Native Medical Center: Contact Cindy Lietzau regarding eligibility and registration.
- CHI Franciscan Health: Contact Cindy Woolman for information.
- Hawaii Pacific Health (Straub Clinic & Hospital, Honolulu and Wilcox Memorial Hospital, Lihue): Contact Sarah Kim regarding eligibility and registration.
- Jefferson Healthcare: Contact Amber Hudson for details regarding eligiblity and registration.
- Kittitas Valley Healthcare: Contact Arla Dunlop for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Madigan Army Medical Center: Contact Nancy Hodge for details about registration.
- Maniilaq Association: Contact Teri Doughfman-Billings for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center (All Locations: PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center, Friday Harbor; PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center, Ketchikan; PeaceHealth United General Medical Center, Sedro-Woolley): Contact Cris Gonzales, MSN, RN-BC, CMSRN for information about class dates and times.
- Portneuf Medical Center: Tuition will be paid by PMC with approval of Med-Surg Director. Contact Jennifer Morris for details about registration and eligibility.
- Providence Centralia Hospital: Contact Lisa Gallagher for details about registration and eligibility.
- Providence St. Peter Hospital: Contact Sarah Culbert for details about registration and eligibility.
- Skagit Valley Hospital - Skagit Regional Health: Contact MJ Tyler for details about registration and eligibility.
- Swedish Medical Center (All Campuses): Contact Cheri Constantino-Shor regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center: Contact Kathy Colagrossi for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Northwest Hospital and Medical Center: Contact Leigh McDonnell regarding registration, eligibility and details.
- UW Medicine/UW Medical Center: Contact Jamie Peterson at email@example.com or 206-598-1359 for details about registration and eligibility.
- UW Medicine/Valley Medical Center: Tuition can be paid for with available education funds. Tuition rate dependent upon the number of participants. Contact Megan Stevens or Kalyan Men for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-228-3440 Ext 5759
- Whidbey General Hospital: Open to WGH and non-WGH RNs. Contact Gaila Palo for enrollment information.
- Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital: Contact Kimberlee Foster for details about registration and eligibility.
Individual registrants will complete this class 100% online (no in-person attendance). Please register and pay online at your convenience.
For questions regarding registration, contact Hamida Moly at 206-221-2406 or email@example.com.
Co-sponsor applications now being accepted!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the Medical-Surgical Review & Update Course.
- 45.00 Contact hours