Specialty Program 2018 | Medical-Surgical Review and Update - ONSITE
Winter/Spring 2018 Specialty Program
January 11 - April 19, 2018
This 15-week continuing education course provides a comprehensive update on key topics in evidence-based medical-surgical nursing practice. The course is designed to meet two goals: 1) enhance practice in medical-surgical nursing and 2) support nurses in pursuing national certification.
Who would Benefit from this Course
Experienced nurses in all care settings interested in a comprehensive medical-surgical review and/or in preparing for certification or re-certification in medical-surgical nursing.
Course Format and Sites
The course will be presented live at the University of Washington Health Sciences Center and transmitted electronically to participating sites. New sites are invited (see Co-Sponsorship Invitation). Some sites access the course on a delayed schedule via video recordings.
After completing this course, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the etiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nursing process and patient education related to common medical-surgical diagnoses.
- Apply evidence-based approaches to nursing assessment and intervention strategies.
- Discuss strategies that enhance patient safety.
- Explain the process of applying for national certification in medical-surgical nursing.
- Describe at least two situations in which course content is applied to nursing practice.
- Alaska Native Medical Center: Contact Cindy Lietzau for information.
- CHI Franciscan Health: Contact Cindy Woolman for details.
- Columbia Basin Hospital: Contact Heidi Cline for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Columbia Memorial Hospital: Contact Kendra Gohl for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Island Hospital: Contact Kathy Corrion for information regarding eligibility and registration.
- Madigan Army Medical Center: Contact Nancy Hodge for details about registration.
- Maniilaq Association: Contact Teri Doughfman-Billings for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Portneuf Medical Center: Contact Patricia Rasmussen for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Skagit Valley Hospital - Skagit Regional Health: Contact Lisa Rodgers-Potter for details about registration and eligibility.
- Swedish Medical Center (All Campuses): Contact Cheri Constantino-Shor regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center: Contact Rebekah Marsh regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Northwest Hospital & Medical Center: Contact Jessie Zimmerman regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/University of Washington Medical Center: Contact Jamie Peterson regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Valley Medical Center: Contact Kalyan Men for more information.
- WhidbeyHealth: Open to WH and non-WH RNs. Contact Gaila Palo for enrollment information.
Individual registrants will complete this class 100% online (no in-person attendance). Please register and pay online at your convenience.
For questions regarding registration, contact UWCNE at 206-543-1047.
Co-sponsor applications now being accepted!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the Medical-Surgical Review & Update Course. Co-sponsor cohorts of 10 or more get a registration discount.
- 46.50 Contact hours