Specialty Program 2019 | Medical-Surgical Nursing Update and Certification Review
Online and at participating sites
This video-based course is designed to build the confidence and skills of healthcare professionals who deliver medical-surgical care to patients in the United States and/or to prepare nurses for the certification exam. Starting in January, UWCNE offers 15 weekly online sessions that can be taken independently or with a group, led by a nurse mentor at a co-sponsoring agency. Each week, one or two important medical-surgical topics are featured. Instruction is presented by a variety of expert clinicians and covers clinical updates and comprehensive case studies. To earn contact hours, students are expected to complete the coursework every week, including an online evaluation and short self-assessment quiz. Using this model, UWCNE fosters mentoring relationships between med-surg experts and participating healthcare providers, and develops a peer learning and support network.
Recorded lectures are posted each week for participating sites and individual registrants. Weekly activities include 2-4 hours of study, including video lectures, a practice test and an evaluation of the presentation. Two reflective assignments invite students to notice how the course is influencing their practice. All coursework may be completed online at any time. Additional in-person meetings may be scheduled at the discretion of the co-sponsoring agency.
► CO-SPONSORING OR PARTNER REGISTRANT
As an employee of a co-sponsoring or partner agency, be sure to contact your Agency Coordinator (AC) before registering online. Your Agency Coordinator's name and contact information is listed below.
- Alaska Native Medical Center: Contact Andrea Moses for information.
- Columbia Memorial Hospital: Contact Betsy Brenden for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Island Hospital: Contact Kathy Corrion regarding registration.
- Jefferson Hospital: Contact Cynthia Walker for information.
- Kittitas Valley Healthcare: Contact Babbi Mundy for information.
- Madigan Army Medical Center: Contact Nancy Hodge for details about registration.
- Multicare - Tacoma General: Contact Jenn Warren for information.
- Portneuf Medical Center: Contact Patricia Rasmussen for details regarding eligibility and registration.
- Swedish Medical Center (All Campuses): Contact Katherine MacDonald regarding eligibility and registration.
- US Naval Hospital Bremerton: Contact LCDR Candice Kline via email for information about the course and signup.
- UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center: Contact Rebekah Marsh regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Northwest Hospital & Medical Center: Contact Jessie Zimmerman or Karen Paulsen regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/University of Washington Medical Center: Contact Jamie Peterson regarding eligibility and registration.
- WhidbeyHealth: Open to WhidbeyHealth and non-WhidbeyHealth staff. Contact Gaila Palo with questions.
Individual registrants will complete this class entirely online with the support of a nurse mentor. Please register and pay online at your convenience.
For questions regarding registration, contact UWCNE at 206-543-1047.
Bring this program to your organization!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the Medical-Surgical Nursing Update and Certification Review Course. Co-sponsoring Agencies with 10 or more students get a significant registration discount.
Experienced nurses in all care settings interested in a comprehensive medical-surgical review and/or in preparing for certification or re-certification in medical-surgical nursing.
“This class has helped to remind me that learning is a lifelong commitment with nursing. I took this class not only for the certification but to see if furthering my education was something that I was still interested in doing. I have recently started inquiring about pursuing my DNP. This class has helped to reinforce my desire to continue to improve myself and my knowledge.”
“Being able to watch the lectures on my schedule was very nice and integral to my ability to take this class! Having a mentor to turn to if needed was very reassuring as an adult re-entry student. This class has been so important to me and my care of the patient at the bedside
Why Pursue Certification?
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this course, participants will be better able to:
- Relate the etiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nursing process and patient education of common medical-surgical diagnoses to patient care.
- Apply evidence-based approaches to nursing assessment and interventions.
- Utilize strategies that enhance patient safety.
- Achieve personal goals with regard to national certification in medical-surgical nursing and/or enhancing medical-surgical nursing practice.
- Describe at least two situations in which course content was applied to your nursing practice.
- 46.50 Contact hours