Week 12: Mental Health (Med-Surg 2019)
Patients with mental health conditions can be found on any unit of any hospital. In this compassionate and informative module, learn how to provide the most effective care for these patients by using therapeutic communication strategies that build trust and rapport.
Week 12 begins on Thursday, March 28, 2019.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the scope of mental illness in the U.S.
- Describe how stigma and fear affect the health of patients with psychiatric diagnoses.
- List two strategies to use when communicating with patients.
- List two strategies to avoid when communicating with patients.
- Analyze how trauma is related to mental illness.
Timothy Meeks, MN, RN-BC
Clinical Nurse Educator for Behavioral Health, Clinical Education
UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA