Online Education | UW Wound Academy | Diabetic Foot Ulcers: Prevention and Management
This module explores the epidemiology, pathophysiology, assessment, management and prevention of diabetic foot ulcers (DFUs).
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- List the risk factors linked to DFUs.
- Identify the pathophysiology related to development of a DFU.
- Describe the assessment process for a patient with a DFU.
- Discuss appropriate multidisciplinary management for the patient with a DFU.
- Summarize appropriate education for a patient with a DFU.
- Foot complications
- Risk factors for diabetic foot ulcers (DFUs)
- Sensory neuropathy
- Autonomic neuropathy
- Motor neuropathy and Charcot foot
- Vascular disease
- The Wagner Scale
- Assessment for sensory neuropathy
- Sensory testing
- Assessment for motor neuropathy
- Vascular assessment
- Assessment for infection
- Diabetes control
- Local wound care
- Active dressings
- Hyperbaric oxygen
- Patient education
- Legal issues and standards of care
- 1.50 Contact hours