Online Education | UW Wound Academy | Pressure Injury: A Guide to Prevention
This module focuses on the comprehensive assessment of intact skin, determining risk factors for skin breakdown and strategies for improving tissue tolerance to prevent pressure injury.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- Discuss the guideline developed collaboratively by the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (NPUAP), European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (EPUAP) and Pan Pacific Pressure Injury Alliance (PPPIA) which contains evidence-based recommendations for the prevention and treatment of pressure injury.
- List five risk factors for skin breakdown and two risk assessment tools.
- Describe four interventions that maintain and improve tissue tolerance to pressure.
- Discuss four interventions to protect against external mechanical forces.
- Pressure injury: the problem
- Pressure injury: grades and/or stages
- Recognizing risk factors for skin breakdown
- Prevention guidelines and recommendations
- Risk assessment tools and risk factors
- Maintaining tissue integrity
- Mechanical loading and support surfaces
- Improving clinical outcomes through "early intervention"
- 1.50 Contact hours