Wound Academy Course 3: Dressing Selection and Infection
Course 3 is presented in two modules which focus on 1) challenges of selecting appropriate dressings and 2) the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of infection. Teaching methods include readings, illustrations, interactive exercises, and self-assessment quizzes.
- Explain the terminology related to wound infection.
- Discuss the difference between inflammation and infection.
- Explain the relevance of bacterial resistance.
- Identify the basics of health economics and the impact on wound care.
- Identify the key cost drivers that you need to monitor in order to manage your budget more effectively.
- Explain the relevance of wound bed preparation with reference to dressing selection and the optimal wound environment.
- Describe the different dressing categories.
- Demonstrate application of the systematic approach to dressing selection.