On-Demand Program | Med-Surg 365 | Acute Pain Management
Acute Pain Management
This module explains that pain management begins with a very good assessment of psychological as well as physiological expressions of pain. This enlightening lecture will discuss the principles of pain management with regards to different pain mechanisms, appropriate assessment tools, and multimodal nursing interventions for alleviating acute post-op pain.
Kimberly K. Hayes, MSN, BSN, RN-BC, CPAN
Clinical Nurse Educator, UW Medicine/Harborview Medical Center, Seattle
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the end of this module, participants will be better able to:
- Acknowledge the difference between acute and chronic pain.
- Differentiate between nociceptive and neuropathic pain mechanisms.
- Support individualized and accurate pain assessment.
- Support the utilization of appropriate pain assessment tools.
- Recognize the use of multimodal, pharmacological, and non-pharmacological interventions as necessary components in the pain management nursing plan of care.
- 2.50 Contact hours