On-Demand Program | Midwifery Update 2020
This online course provides an annual update on clinical issues in midwifery care. Teaching methods include video lectures, PDF handouts, and case study analysis.
Certified nurse midwives, licensed midwives, nurses, nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists and other interested healthcare professionals.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
- Discuss the physiologic and psychosocial factors that can lead to opioid dependency and the responsibility of opioid prescribers to treat pain without causing harm to our patients.
- Describe ways to provide health care that considers inclusiveness and sense of belonging.
- Appreciate the risks of gestational hypertension and “white coat” hypertension.
- To review common presentations for perinatal OCD, PTSD, Mania and Psychosis
- Describe the newest recommendations from ACOG regarding exercise in the perinatal period.
- Describe different types of consumer-driven genetic testing.
- Discuss low libido in women and hypoactive sexual desire disorder diagnosis and treatments.
- The Unique Challenges of Opioid Prescribing during Pregnancy and Lactation (Rx) Alyssa Stephenson-Famy
- Social Determinants of Health: Knowing, Understanding, and Respecting Them in Our Lives and Practice Sherry Williams
- How Can We Reduce Hypertensive Complications among Midwifery Patients? (Rx) Carolyn Kline
- Beyond Perinatal Depression and Anxiety: OCD, PTSD, Mania and Psychosis (Rx) Veronika Zantop & Catherine Davies
- Perinatal Exercise: A Hands-on Workshop for Midwives Kathleen Donahoe
- Direct to Consumer Genetic Testing: What Providers Need to Know Tessa Marzulla & Robert Resta
- Sexual Health: A Gynecologic Perspective (Rx) Ashley Fuller
- Catherine Davies, MD Psychiatric Hospitalist, Swedish Medical Group, Behavioral Health, Seattle, WA
- Kathleen Donahue, MBA, GFI Chief Operating Officer, Oh Baby Fitness, Decatur, GA
- Ashley Fuller , MD OB/GYN, Swedish OB/GYN Specialists, First Hill, Seattle, WA
- Carolyn R. Kline, MD, MPH Medical Director, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Dept. of Obstetrics, GYN and Pediatrics, Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, WA
- Tessa Marzulla, MS, LCGC Genetic Counselor, Maternal & Fetal Specialty Center, Seattle, WA
- Robert Resta, MD, MS, CGC Licensed and Certified Genetic Counselor, Swedish Cancer Institute, Seattle, WA
- Alyssa Stephenson-Famy, MD Associate Professor, Dept of OB/GYN, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Sherry Williams, MPA Regional Director of Community Health Investment, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- Veronika Zantop, MD Director, Center for Perinatal Binding and Support, Swedish Medical Center, Swedish Medical Group, Seattle, WA
- Marites Almachar, BSN, RN, CCRN, DNP AGNP-AC Student Nurse Planner, Continuing Nursing Education, UW School of Nursing, Seattle
- Sally Avenson, MSN, CNM, ARNP Certified Nurse Midwife, per diem, Swedish Medical Center Ballard Campus, Seattle
- Mary Lou Kopas, MN, CNM, ARNP Chief of Midwifery, UW Medical Center / Northwest Midwives Clinic, Seattle; Teaching Associate, UW School of Medicine OB/GYN
- Judy Lazarus, DNP, CNM, ARNP Staff CNM, Neighborcare Health, Seattle; Community Liaison and Senior Lecturer, UW Midwifery Education Program, FCN, Seattle
- Brady Rainey, MBA, MPA, MSF Director, Continuing Nursing Education, UW School of Nursing, Seattle
- Kristen Trivelli, BSN, RN, DNP-FNP Student Nurse Planner, Continuing Nursing Education, UW School of Nursing, Seattle
The American College of Nurse- Midwives CEU’s have been applied for approval for this activity.
- 7.00 Contact hours
- 3.80 Pharmacology hours at the advanced practice level