Online Education | UW Wound Academy | Dressing Selection
This module explores the history, background and science of wound dressings and presents a system for making an optimal dressing selection for your patient.
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- Describe the challenges of selecting an appropriate dressing.
- Explain the relevance of wound bed preparation to dressing selection and creating an optimal wound environment.
- Describe the different dressing categories and correctly name examples of dressings in each category.
- Apply a systematic approach to dressing selection.
- Introduction to the challenge of selecting appropriate dressings
- Dressing selection
- Wound dressing--a historical perspective
- Important issues to address prior to dressing selection
- Wound bed preparation and the optimal wound environment
- Dead and devitalized tissue
- Infection and critical colonization
- Moist but not wet
- Cellular dysfunction and biochemical imbalance
- How wound bed preparation aids dressing choice
- A systematic approach to dressing selection
- Mixing dressings
- Overview of products
- The Wound Dressing Selection Model
- 1.50 Contact hours