On-Demand Program | UW Wound Academy | Diabetic Foot Ulcers
This module explores the epidemiology, pathophysiology, assessment and management of the patient with a diabetic foot ulcer (DFU).
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this module, you will be better able to:
- List the risk factors linked to DFUs.
- Identify the pathophysiology related to development of a DFU.
- Describe the assessment process for a patient with a DFU.
- Discuss appropriate multidisciplinary management for the patient with a DFU.
- Summarize appropriate education for a patient with a DFU.
- Foot complications
- Risk factors for diabetic foot ulcers (DFUs)
- Sensory neuropathy
- Autonomic neuropathy
- Motor neuropathy and Charcot foot
- Vascular disease
- The Wagner Scale
- Assessment for sensory neuropathy
- Sensory testing
- Assessment for motor neuropathy
- Vascular assessment
- Assessment for infection
- Diabetes control
- Local wound care
- Active dressings
- Hyperbaric oxygen
- Patient education
- Legal issues and standards of care
- 1.50 Contact hours