Week 2 | Topical Products Part 1 (17181-SP)
►Click "Continue" to access course activities.
Complexity of Managing Wounds
Process of Wound Management
- Review steps to thorough assessment
- Evaluate all components of the wound
- Prepare wound for dressing material
- Apply correctly selected product
Review of Principles of Wound Management
- Moisture level
- Pearls for closure
Making Product Decisions
Wound Cleansing Recommendations
Topical Product Categories
Terminology in Dressings
Product Category Information
- Contact Layers
- Enzymatic Debrider
- Exudate Absorbers
- Gauze Products
- Specialty Items
- Transparent Films
- Silver Based Dressings
- Cadexomer Iodine
- Honey Based Products
- Hydrofera Blue
- Different Types
- Varying Layers
- Specific Category Information
Establishing a Formulary
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
After completing this session, you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of wound management that begin with a comprehensive patient assessment, into a topical management plan.
- Discuss the importance of maintaining a moist wound healing environment in product choice.
- Identify wound product categories.
- Describe the actions/indications for each product category.
- Identify the approach to determine appropriate wound product selection.
- Discuss steps necessary to establish a product formulary.
Renee Anderson, MSN, RN, CWON
Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse; Co-Director, Wound Management Education Program (WMEP) and Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle; President, Rainier Clinical Consultants, Inc, Seattle, WA
Betty Hanrahan, MSN, CNS, ARNP-BC, CWCN-AP, CWS, FACCWS, CFCN
Certified Wound Care Nurse; Co-Director, Wound Management Education Program (WMEP) and Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle; Fellow, College of Certified Wound Specialists