Week 5 | Selection and Use of Topical Products (17171-SP)
- Complexity of Managing Wounds
- Process of Wound Management
- Review steps to thorough assessment
- Evaluate all components of the wound
- Prepare wound for dressing material
- Apply correctly selected product
- Review of Principles of Wound Management
- Moisture level
- Pearls for closure
- Making Product decisions
- Wound Cleansing Recommendations
- Topical Product Categories
- Terminology in Dressings
- Product Category Information
- Contact Layers
- Enzymatic Debrider
- Exudate Absorbers
- Gauze Products
- Specialty Items
- Transparent Films
- Silver Based Dressings
- Cadexomer Iodine
- Honey Based Products
- Hydrofera Blue
- Compression Materials
- Different types
- Varying Layers
- Specific Category Information
- Establishing a Formulary
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
At the end of this course work the learner will be able to:
- Apply the principles of wound management that begin with a comprehensive patient assessment through to a topical management plan.
- Discuss the importance of a maintaining a moist wound healing environment in product choice.
- Identify wound product categories.
- Describe the actions/indications for each product category.
- Describe the approach to determine appropriate wound product selection.
- Discuss steps necessary to establish a product formulary.