Specialty Program 2016 | WMFC Fall: Wound Management Fundamentals Course Registration and Information
This 30.0 contact hour course prepares healthcare professionals to practice evidence-based wound management with expanded skills and knowledge. Content is based on national wound management guidelines for a broad range of wounds.
|Registered Students||Agency Coordinators|
Go to the Agency
Who Would Benefit from this Course
Health care professionals in all settings, including wound care team members, treatment nurses, staff nurses and nurse managers in acute care, long term care, ambulatory care and community-based settings.
What students are saying about this course...
This class gave me the skills and education to recognize the need for immediate interventions for my patients.
When I walk in the patient room now with a wound vac or dressing change, I don’t feel I have to run out and ask for help right away.
The course is presented in two parts:
- Six Weeks Online Learning: The online phase of the course is taken independently and establishes a baseline level of knowledge for each participant. All assignments are completed and submitted online and can be accessed 24/7.
- Two Day Onsite Workshop: Following the online phase, participants attend a two-day workshop (8 AM to 5 PM) that includes additional lectures, demonstrations and hands-on skill development. Individual registrants attend the workshop at the Shoreline Conference Center. Registrants employed by a co-sponsoring agency attend the workshop at their own facility via video transmission from Shoreline. (Local Hotel Information)
- Describe the basic structure and function of the skin.
- Identify changes in the integumentary system over the life span.
- Describe effective techniques for preventing skin damage.
- Describe the normal stages of wound healing.
- Describe the impact of comorbidities on wound development and closure.
- Identify systemic factors, such as nutrition, perfusion and pathology that influence healing outcomes.
- Assess and measure wounds including venous, arterial, diabetic/neuropathic, pressure ulcers.
- Describe wound product categories.
- Demonstrate competencies in pressure ulcer staging, ankle brachial index (ABI) measurement, Semmes-Weinstein monofilament testing, application of selected compression wraps and documentation.
|Location||Date and Time|
|Online Phase||October 17 - November 27, 2016|
|Onsite Workshop - Shoreline, WA|
December 1 - 2, 2016 Thur and Friday (8:00 am to 5:00 pm*)
*Workshop dates vary for asynchronous sites. Please contact Agency Coordinator for specific dates.
The fee for an individual registrant is $695. The fee includes continental breakfast and lunch at the workshop at Shoreline Conference Center: 18560 1st Ave NE, Shoreline WA 98155. Please register and pay online at your convenience.
Registrants employed by a co-sponsoring agency attend the workshop at their own facility (unless otherwise specified). Participants complete the workshop from their workplace via online technology and receive hands-on instruction from agency designated wound care specialist. As an employee of a co-sponsoring agency, be sure to contact the designated Agency Coordinator (AC) before registering online. Agency Coordinators name and contact information is in the course brochure and provided below.
- Fairbanks Memorial Hospital—Fairbanks, AK
Contact Jennifer Gehrke regarding eligibility and registration.
- Island Hospital—Anacortes, WA
Contact Kathy Corrion regarding eligibility and registration.
- Kindred Hospital—Seattle, WA
Contact Rebekah Dodson regarding eligibility and registration.
- Madigan Army Medical Center—Tacoma, WA
Contact Nancy Hodge regarding eligibility and registration.
- Martha and Mary—Poulsbo, WA
Contact Kelsey Stedman regarding eligibility and registration.
- Olympic Medical Center—Port Angeles, WA
Contact Gretchen Souza regarding eligibility and registration.
- PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center—Ketchikan , AK
Contact Jolene Westlund regarding eligibility and registration.
- Providence Regional Medical Center—Everett, WA
Contact Valerie Stalsbroten regarding eligibility and registration.
- Swedish Medical Center—Seattle, WA
Contact Birgit Petersen regarding eligibility and registration.
- UW Medicine/Valley Medical Center—Renton, WA
Contact Laurie Force regarding eligibility and registration.
- Virginia Mason Health Systems—Seattle, WA
Contact Susan Talbot regarding eligibility and registration.
Agency Coordinator Portal
(access restricted to ACs and AIs)
Co-Sponsor Applications are now being accepted!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the Wound Management Fundamentals Course.
Additional information about the program
Renee Anderson, MSN, RN, CWON
Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse; Co-Director, Wound Management Education Program (WMEP) and Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle; President, Rainier Clinical Consultants, Inc, Seattle, WA
Betty Hanrahan, MSN, CNS, ARNP-BC, CWCN-AP, CWS, FACCWS, CFCN
Certified Wound Care Nurse; Co-Director, Wound Management Education Program (WMEP) and Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle; Fellow, College of Certified Wound Specialists
- 30.00 Contact hours