Specialty Program 2019 | Wound Fundamentals | 19181 | Fall
This 30.0 contact hour course prepares healthcare professionals to practice evidence-based wound management with expanded skills and knowledge. Content is based on national wound management guidelines for a broad range of wounds.
The course is presented in two parts:
- Six Weeks Online Learning: The online phase of the course is taken independently and establishes a baseline level of knowledge for each participant. All assignments are completed and submitted online and can be accessed 24/7.
- Hands-on Workshop: Following the online phase, participants attend a workshop that includes additional lectures, demonstrations and hands-on skill development. Individual registrants attend the UWCNE workshop. Registrants employed by a co-sponsoring agency attend the workshop at the location and on the dates designated by the Agency Coordinator.
|Location||Date and Time|
|Online Phase||October 21 - November 29, 2019|
December 5-6, 2019* Individual Registrants.
*Workshop dates vary. Please contact your Agency Coordinator for specific dates.
Registration Information and Workshop
The fee for an individual registrant is $695. The fee includes continental breakfast and lunch at the workshop at UWBG Center for Urban Horticulture (3501 NE 41st Street, Seattle WA 98105). Please register and pay online at your convenience.
Registrants employed by a co-sponsoring agency attend the workshop at their own facility (unless otherwise specified). Participants complete the workshop at their workplace via online technology and receive hands-on instruction from an agency-designated wound care specialist. Before registering as an employee of a co-sponsoring agency, be sure to contact the designated Agency Coordinator (AC). Agency Coordinator information is listed below.
- Good Shepherd Health Care Systems—Hermiston, OR
Contact Elizabeth Sperr regarding eligibility and registration.
- Madigan Army Medical Center—Tacoma, WA
Contact Joanie Santucci regarding eligibility and registration.
- Olympic Medical Center—Port Angeles, WA
Contact Gretchen Souza regarding eligibility and registration.
- Regency—Omak, WA
Contact Gayle Grubich regarding eligibility and registration.
- Swedish Medical Center—Seattle, WA
Contact Birgit Petersen regarding eligibility and registration.
Agency Coordinator Portal
(Access restricted to ACs and AIs.)
Co-Sponsor Applications are now being accepted!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the Wound Management Fundamentals Course.
Learn how to become a Co-Sponsor
- For more information, contact Patty Morrison at 206-543-7967 or email@example.com.
- For questions regarding registration, contact Hamida Moly at 206-221-2406 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For healthcare professionals in all settings, including wound care team members, treatment nurses, staff nurses and nurse managers in acute care, long term care, ambulatory care and community-based settings
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the basic structure and function of the skin.
- Identify changes in the integumentary system over the life span.
- Describe effective techniques for preventing skin damage.
- Describe the normal stages of wound healing.
- Describe the impact of comorbidities on wound development and closure.
- Identify systemic factors, such as nutrition, perfusion and pathology that influence healing outcomes.
- Assess and measure wounds including venous, arterial, diabetic/neuropathic, pressure ulcers.
- Describe wound product categories.
- Demonstrate competencies in pressure injury staging, ankle brachial index (ABI) measurement, Semmes-Weinstein monofilament testing, application of selected compression wraps and documentation.
Renee Anderson, MSN, RN, CWON
Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse; Director, Wound Management Education Program (WMEP) and Chairperson, Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle; President, Rainier Clinical Consultants, Inc, Seattle, WA
- 30.00 Contact hours
REGISTRATION and WORKSHOP INFORMATION
Who can register?
Registration is open to individual participants. If you are registering as an agency student, be sure to contact the designated Agency Coordinator (AC) listed above for approval.