Specialty Program 2020 | Wound Fundamentals | 20180 | Spring
This 30.0 contact hour course for agency partners only*, prepares healthcare professionals to practice evidence-based wound management with expanded skills and knowledge. Content is based on national wound management guidelines for a broad range of wounds.
*Individual participants can register for our Fall offering at: WMFC-Fall-2020.
The course is presented in two parts:
- Six Weeks Online Learning: The online phase of the course is taken independently and establishes a baseline level of knowledge for each participant. All assignments are completed and submitted online and can be accessed 24/7.
- Hands-on Workshop: Following the online phase, participants attend a workshop that includes additional lectures, demonstrations and hands-on skill development. Registrants attend the workshop at the location and on the dates designated by the Agency Coordinator.
Co-Sponsor Applications are now being accepted!
Hospitals and agencies in all regions of the country are invited to co-sponsor the Wound Management Fundamentals Course.
For more information, contact Patty Morrison at 206-543-7967 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding registration, contact Hamida Moly at 206-221-2406 or email@example.com
For healthcare professionals in all settings, including wound care team members, treatment nurses, staff nurses and nurse managers in acute care, long term care, ambulatory care and community-based settings
Objectives for Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the basic structure and function of the skin.
- Identify changes in the integumentary system over the life span.
- Describe effective techniques for preventing skin damage.
- Describe the normal stages of wound healing.
- Describe the impact of comorbidities on wound development and closure.
- Identify systemic factors, such as nutrition, perfusion and pathology that influence healing outcomes.
- Assess and measure wounds including venous, arterial, diabetic/neuropathic, pressure ulcers.
- Describe wound product categories.
- Demonstrate competencies in pressure injury staging, ankle brachial index (ABI) measurement, Semmes-Weinstein monofilament testing, application of selected compression wraps and documentation.
RESIDENCE INN UNIVERSITY DISTRICT
4501 12th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105
Local Phone: 206-322-8887
One block from UW Tower. One mile from UW Center for Urban Horticulture.
For UWCNE participants only: Click on the hotel website link and choose the Corporate/Promotional drop down box and enter code UWD to get the UW discount.
Renee Anderson, MSN, RN, CWON
Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse; Director, Wound Management Education Program (WMEP) and Chairperson, Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle; President, Rainier Clinical Consultants, Inc, Seattle, WA
- 30.00 Contact hours
REGISTRATION and WORKSHOP INFORMATION
Who can register?
To register for the Spring course, participants must be affiliated with one of the cosponsoring agencies listed above. The Fall course offering is open to all registrants. Before registering as an agency student, be sure to contact the designated Agency Coordinator (AC).